Thursday, January 22, 2015

Cooking From Cookbooks

I think I made an unconscious resolution to cook more from my cookbooks.   I have a lot, it's an addiction, but it has been far to easy to just hop on Google to look things up.  So far the round up this week has been:


Vegetable Literacy by Deborah Madison.  This book was a birthday gift from my sister-in-law.  It is a beautiful book.  I made the carrot cake recipe.


It even looked like the picture!  Not everyone enjoys carrot cake here but everyone tried it and loved it.

Another winner:



Shell pasta with cauliflower and red pepper flakes.  I am the only one who likes cauliflower and everyone had this and liked it.  My husband said, "It's the best way to choke down cauliflower."  

More of a common sense recipe I made was pan fried potatoes from this book, another gift from my sister-in-law:


The New Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone also by Deborah Madison.  

Last night I made this in the slow cooker:


From:


Art of the Slow Cooker by Andrew Schloss.

It was good but over cooked due to user error not the recipe.  Even though I increased the recipe my slow cooker runs hot and I have to remember to adjust times not only for this fact but I did not use bone in chicken thighs.   I do look forward to making this again. 

I have had the first two cookbooks for months and the the slow cooker book for well over a year and hadn't cooked from them.  I seem to make more from my bread books. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey there-- I kept trying to comment while traveling but no luck. Glad to see you've returned to the blogosphere. You were missed! One good thing about cookbooks: you can use 'em when the lights go out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...Merry Christmas Miss Aggie, sure hope You get this...sure miss you guys...GodBless

    ReplyDelete